Saturday, December 21, 2013

Maybe my veins are made of wire.

When you find me in bed at three
in the morning and three
in the afternoon, you will ask me
what's wrong and I will tell you,

Hold everything this is:
a newborn elephant, a thunderstorm
in my temples. Take a look--
there is place for a wind-up key in my back.
My doctor says there are misplaced ribs,
but I know better.
It's pressed in the shape of every time
they threatened to die while I loved them.

Twist it once--
the newborn elephant comes to life,
squalling, trumpeting, calling a military march of wrinkled forefathers
named Worry and Fretting and Scared
to pound their feet into my stomach.

Twist it twice--
it turns the dust of mistrust into hardpack,
desert floors unwilling to move.
A bucket of kindness will not make flowers grow here,
but do not assume
that the thirsty ground is not thankful.

Twist it again--
again--
again--
until the muscles in my shoulder make my left hand shake
like my fingers did every time I wanted to touch
a lover lost,
a thousand miles from my bedroom.
Do not hand me your trust. I have been wound
too tightly. I will drop you like a wine glass
in the hand of a passed-out drunk.

Instead, ask me for my heart.
I will hand you a silver key on a chain and tell you,
Hold everything that this is.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is phenomenal!

Unknown said...

This is phenomenal!

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, Nikki! <3

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. As of 10/1/13, anonymous comments are welcome.