Thursday, January 30, 2014

Psalm of the Traveler




Give thanks to Dwight D. Eisenhower,
god of the interstate,
creator of black stone veins to cross a country
too big to be captured.
Bless yourself with motor oil,
the sign of a shield on your forehead.

Our acolytes wear dark blue windbreakers and red ties,
wool caps to keep their ears from freezing in the cold,
have muscles in their shoulders that strain
to send our baggage across the counties--
even the pieces you wish could stay behind.
(You cannot escape your heart’s past).

Our clergy are tired and dirty,
covered in cement and exhaust, working
in the glow of floodlights. They genuflect to earthmovers,
flash by our windows in a glow of hunters’ orange and hardhats,
risk their lives
to put us in motion, another hundred miles closer
to happiness.

Our temples are hurtling down highways faster than the beating of our hearts
(but not by much)
and we sit in accepted silence with travelers
who are stuck with us in the asphalt arteries
like the bluish veins on the back of a lover’s hand
while someone else makes their fist clench in pleasure.

We live outside state lines,
the titles on our IDs only serving to proclaim how far we’ve traveled
to meet our heart’s home.
We worship in late-night gas stations,
baptize ourselves with ice-cold water from the bathroom sinks,
let our cigarette smoke
drift to the sky like incense.

Send prayers to Saint Anthony,
patron of lost things.
Thank Mister Eisenhower, who somehow knew
one day we would need pathways
to other people’s hearts.

3 comments:

Ms. Becca said...

I love this. You must submit this in a poetry contest. It's excellent. And now I'm going to write this on your Facebook wall because I think you need a little push ;)

Anonymous said...

Great Poem! We used to know each other in high school, I'm not comfortable revealing who I am just yet however I noticed that you're poly and i'm seeking some advice. I have always been 100% mono and the person that I was in a mono relationship told me they're poly and after a couple weeks of dealing with my own jealousy I have come to peace and I understand it and its something I want to try. What I am curious about is how other people conduct their poly relationships. How do you meet other people that share these views? How do you confront your triggers? This person and I have been communicating about anything and everything. I just want to do this right so everyone involved is happy.

Sarah said...

There are almost as many ways of being poly as there are being a person in general, so I'm afraid that I can't give you a nice, neat box of Assorted Poly Relationships and call it good. If you're looking for examples, the blogger Polyamory Spider has collected a list of poly-focused Tumblr blogs, and that might help. http://polyamoryspider.tumblr.com/polyblogdatabase/ But an important misconception is that all poly relationships are open--that is, everyone always has license to get involved with/sleep with others. This is not true! While there are relationships that ARE like that, mine included, lots of poly groups have an agreement to ONLY be involved with each other and adding another person would be a serious discussion and decision process.

As for meeting people, you meet people the way you usually meet people I guess? I got close to my Neverlanders at school and I met Lynx at the summer camp we worked at. When it comes to poly, you just kind of need to be upfront with that person when you begin to explore interest and romantic involvement. Also, I'm not entirely sure what kind of triggers you're talking about, but honestly, it's communication, and being aware that some of your emotions are sometimes misplaced--jealousy, for example, can occasionally be legit, but most often it's a holdover from a mono culture and will fade in time.

Just make sure you talk with your partner as openly and honestly as possible, and try and have at least a basic friendship with your metamour/s (your partner's partner/s).

Also, there are lots of ways to get in touch with me if you feel like you need to! My ask box on tumblr has anonymous on. (http://waitforhightide.tumblr.com/ask) But these comments work too :D

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. As of 10/1/13, anonymous comments are welcome.