Sunday, June 6, 2010

This can be either a bridge or a wall (These walls must fall)

You say, I see no point to poetry because
it wraps itself around your mind and
keeps you from seeing.
It's so damn confusing.

I say,
well of course it's confusing you're
looking at it all wrong you're
not letting yourself understand you
can't see the forest--
all the damn trees are in your way.

And the truth is,
I don't get it either,
but I know it,
know that there is poetry in the space between the notes and
the black behind the white and
in the empty chair that sits there
like a wash of cold air,
waiting
for you to come back and tell me,
I don't understand but
I know and that
is enough.

Please listen.
Please plug your ears and shut off
all of the glowing lights,
all of the lights and sounds and
embrace the silence.
Without silence the noise means nothing.
Without the dark the light's a matter of course
(but you cling to it like a rare gem, don't you?
Of course.)

Well, I shout,
there cannot be logic with no poetry because
it means the logic is useless,
means there's nothing to build on and
there may not be logic in poetry, honey, but
there's no poetry in logic either.

And when my poem is over,
I prove myself right:
not a single word of logic is offered in defense.

Maybe you always knew better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. As of 10/1/13, anonymous comments are welcome.